Thursday 3 June 2010

Are We Nearly There Yet?

Unlike the other two lovely ladies of TG4, I will be heading out on 29th July with TG3. After months of preparation, endless fundraising ventures and a lot of First Aid Africa related fun times (most involving debauchery of some kind), I can't believe how soon it is. People from our organisation are already out there kicking the summer off to a great start. Granted, I've got tickets to Glastonbury Festival and lots of going away parties between now and my departure, but it's creeping ever closer.
I've already set the ball rolling by offering my arm up as some kind of sacrificial pin cushion to my local travel clinic. Typhoid, tetanus, polio, diptheria, all kinds of hepatitus, rabies...you name the unpleasant medical affliction, I'm probably on my way to immunity. Still waiting on yellow fever vaccination though - it's almost like the golden ticket into Tanzania. No entry without protection against this vile viral disease, for which I'm very thankful. Jaundice and organ damage? No thank you.
Time to start sorting out the big and important bureaucratic issues. Like a visa and the ever-elusive travel insurance. Not to mention recapping my first aid training - at one point, I had nightmares that the kids I was sent out to teach knew their first aid better than I did, and had to put me in the recovery position when I fainted out of shame.

Anyway, back to the rare show of sun in Edinburgh and dancing away to Toto. Cliche, yes, but I couldn't stop if I tried. Less than two months until Africa!

Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment